Getting Cash – ATMs
- All Advantage cardholders can withdraw cash surcharge-free from any of the 55,000 Allpoint ATMs. These ATMs are located in retail locations such as Target.
- Check with your institution to find out if Advantage and In Balance ATMs are surcharge-free to you. (A surcharge is the fee charged by the owner of the ATM.)
- A listing and map of all Advantage, In Balance and Allpoint ATMs can be found on the Advantage ATM Finder.
- Your institution may belong to another surcharge-free network; check the back of your card for the logo(s).
- Your financial institution may impose a separate service fee on a transaction conducted at an ATM it doesn’t own. Please refer to your institution’s policies or disclosures.
Getting Cash – POS (Point-of-Sale)
Cash back at a PIN POS terminal in the United States may be available at participating merchant locations. There is no “locator” to identify these merchants but retailers like Wal-Mart, Target and HyVee offer cash-back.
Cash back at a PIN POS terminal OUTSIDE the United States would only be available at a merchant that displays the PULSE logo in Canada, a small number of Caribbean countries and Mexico. (There is no “locator” to identify these merchants.) Your institution must participate in Pulse as well.
Deposits at ATMs
There are 22 Advantage ATMs that accept deposits from Advantage cardholders. Verify with your institution to see if you can make deposits at these ATMs then check out the list here.
Have paychecks and other funds direct-deposited to your account for convenient and timely access.
Call your institution to let them know which cards will be used while travelling or while the student is at college so they can make a note of the travel/use plans and dates to assist our fraud monitoring system in monitoring their Checkcard.
Card Limit Increases
Also notify your institution if you want to increase your ATM or POS limits for large purchases or while travelling. The limits can be returned to normal after the purchase is made or travelers return home.
Use your Checkcard to make payments online or by phone. Payments can be made individually or scheduled for automatic and recurring payments.
For cardholders travelling outside the United States, here is additional information:
ATMs in foreign countries dispense the local currency and/or Euros and/or American dollars. When you use your Checkcard at an ATM in a foreign country, you may be charged per withdrawal:
- a Foreign ATM service fee. Check with your institution to see if they apply this fee to your transaction.
- Surcharge fees by the ATM owner (which could be as high as 10% of the amount drawn. For example, a $300 USD withdrawal could incur a $30 USD surcharge).
- a currency conversion fee (usually 1-3%). Check with your institution to see if they apply this fee to your transaction.
If you request U.S. dollars at an ATM in a foreign country, there could be an additional currency conversion fee which is set by the ATM owner and could be substantial.
Cardholders may be able to go to a bank (or kiosk at the airport or hotel) to do a cash advance on the card and save the ATM surcharge fee. However, the bank/vendor will probably charge a fee.
Advantage Checkcards are accepted worldwide – everywhere Visa is accepted. When you use your debit card for a purchase outside the US, a 3% currency conversion fee may be charged on each purchase. Check with your institution to see if they apply this fee to your transaction.
All Advantage Checkcard purchases and US ATM withdrawals that route over the Visa network are covered by Visa’s Zero Liability policy so cardholders are protected in case of a lost card or fraudulent use.
Click here to learn Fraud Protection actions you can take to minimize exposure to fraud.
Cardholders should write down these customer service numbers and carry them separately from their cards:
- Customer service number for your institution.
- Domestic 24-hour lost/stolen number 800-236-2442
- 24-hour international lost/stolen card number (414) 291-8411 (dial the country’s exit code first).